Thursday, March 13, 2008

Betcha didn't see this coming!




I'm making my way to Capitol Hill. Yes, you heard me!

Everyone here knows how involved I've been with the midwifery legislation here in Utah. Well, I wanted to take a more active role. The initial plan was to become a delegate. As I became more involved in the process I met people, who I know I was supposed to meet. One thing that has been a passion to me has developed into something much bigger.

In the process I changed political parties too. I had always considered myself somewhat of a republican, but it seems lately that there is no difference between republicans and democrats. They're both one faction running on two different tickets. Neither of them coincide with my beliefs and morals. So last year at the Utah Homeschooling Convention I passed by the Constitution Party booth. I didn't think much of it at time, I signed up for their emails and went on my way. But as the Primary Elections started my mind returned to this party. I ran into a friend who was the legislative chairwoman for her district and she helped me find the right people. Everything has fallen into place.

The Constitution Party believes in our God given rights of free agency, defending the family unit, and restoring the republic. What what I find gratifying is that it's an educational party. They strongly believe in education and involving the public. There are weekly seminars in your neck of the woods, many people meet and learn about the constitution and how it should work for our country.

On Tuesday of this week I went down to the County Clerk's office, submitted my application, and was sworn in to run for State Reprentative of District 46 for the Constitution Party. My district covers south-east Murray, South Holladay and Cottonwood Heights.

I don't plan to actively campaign. My purpose is to help the Constitution Party receive more recognition. Hopefully, with my name on the ballot listed under this party, more people will wonder what they're all about and want to learn about it. As it is, I've four kiddies who need a mommy at home. Maybe in the next few years this is something that I will definitely aggressively pursue. In the event that hell freezes over and I am elected my main focus is to protect the birthing rights of Utah's women. Our healthcare should not be legislated by a third party or anyone!

3 comments:

Darci said...

Traitor!!! Haha j/k:) Good luck with Capitol Hill!!! I am rooting for you!

Megan said...

Wow! That's great Katie. I'm impressed with all you take on in your life!

Meemer said...

you rock!