Sunday, January 6, 2008

What does it mean to be a child of God?

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so
that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other
people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others."

^^ Authored and published by Marianne Williamson ^^

I think this is what is means to be a child of God. My friend Tisha posted this quote on her blog. It has touched me deeply and I'm still pondering on these words. I wonder how it would be if more people knew who they were. But it's not simply to know who you are, but to feel who you are. Not that you are better or more worthy than another, but to feel that worth, that love inside yourself. Maybe that small part of the Great Plan of Happiness is to find that love and happiness inside of ourselves. And when we love ourselves, then we can let that light shine.

3 comments:

Brian & Heidi Haas said...

I think that's one of the greatest challenges...knowing and feeling worthy of being a child of God. It's difficult not to be so hard on ourselves...I know I'm extra critical of myself on a daily basis. Hopefully I soon will learn to let my self shine!

sweet pickles said...

I love that quote and should think of it more often.

Spencer family said...

I love that quote too. Someone read it to me in my book club. It went along with the book we were reading that month. And of course I can't think of it right now but when I do I'll tell you because it was a great book. Thank you for sharing it because I hadn't thought about it for awhile and I truly love that saying!